About Helen

I’m an exchange student from outer space, and I just dropped onto this swell beach!

I’ve spent most of my life at CUNY.  My first contact with CUNY was as a high school student participating in special programs at Lehman College.  I returned to Lehman as an adult to finish a BA in Psychology and have since studied at both Hunter College and the Graduate Center.  After working in IT at the Graduate Center for several years, I came to John Jay searching for new challenges (I’m currently the Blackboard System Administrator at the John Jay).  An undergraduate environment is very different and I’m very happy to say I’ve found what I was looking for. I’m one of the lucky people who can honestly say they love what they do and where they work.  I’ve known since I was a young teenager that I wanted to work in education, and public education at that.  I may not have become the high school Social Studies teacher I planned on being, but I’ve done well.

I am an unapologetic geek.  Visitors to my office are often surprised to discover a shelf of Star Wars toys, only to find out it’s much worse.  I’ve actually written an official Star Wars book, The New Essential Guide to Alien Species, a catalogue of the home planets and cultures of the denizens of the Galaxy Far, Far, Away.  I still play table-top role playing games, although I abandoned Dungeons and Dragons for its newer and better cousin, Pathfinder.  I like to think of myself as a pessimistic optimist – I’m a Mets fan and I’m a Palm evangelist.  And somewhere amidst all of that, I do crossword puzzles, read, and knit.

PS – Can anyone name the late 70s Saturday Night Live skit referenced at the top of this post?